Monday I figured out how to add social bookmarking links to the bottom of Literacy is Priceless posts thanks to discovering a how-to guide on the subject on the blog Running through the Rain. After discussing my mini accomplishment with a few of my teacher friends, it occurred to me that not everyone is familiar with the term social bookmarking nor the colorful little buttons below. So, here is a mini lesson on the topic so that you can start bookmarking your favorite websites and Literacy is Priceless posts : ).
Wikipedia defines social bookmarking as follows:
In a social bookmarking system, users save links to web pages that they want to remember and/or share. These bookmarks are usually public, and can be saved privately, shared only with specified people or groups, shared only inside certain networks, or another combination of public and private domains. The allowed people can usually view these bookmarks chronologically, by category or tags, or via a search engine… For more information, click here.
1) The checkered button allows you to save blog posts to del.iciou.us-one of the most popular social bookmarking sites and a personal favorite! I use the site to bookmark education resources that I come across and want to save for later viewing. The great think about del.iciou.us is that regardless of what computer I am on, I can always find my favorites by going to my free online del.iciou.us account.
2) The second mini button above allows you to bookmark this post on Digg-another popular site, especially among tech-savvy crowds. Everything on Digg – from news to videos to images to Podcasts – is submitted by our community (that would be you). Once something is submitted, other people see it and Digg what they like best.
3) The middle button above with the SU on it is for StumbleUpon-a site that allows you to bookmark and review content, as well as stumble upon new content related to your interests. My Dad is a huge fan of this site!
4) The second button from the right with the little creature on it allows you to bookmark this post on reddit-a site where you can vote on and share your favorite web content.
5) Finally, the button on the far right with an f on it is for Facebook–an online directory that connects people through social networks at colleges-By clicking this button on any of our blog posts, you can share Literacy is Priceless with your friends and colleagues on Facebook.
I hope this is helpful! Moving forward, feel free to bookmark our posts on your computer or the social bookmarking sites above! Also, feel free to share your own favorite literacy websites with us here in the comment sections of each post!
Happy Social Bookmarking,